Saturday, August 20, 2005

alt.horology and Hermle rant

Raging through bench work like a man possessed.  I'm getting into a
groove now and it's all coming back to me.  Too bad some of these jobs
just don't seem to want to let me finish with them. 





The German company Hermle, sure knows how to make a profit on clock
movements, but they make it really difficult for me to look good doing
restoration, conservation, repair or maintenance on them.  I monitor
the news group alt.horology
and post infrequently there.  That's where someone (dAz?) gave me the
nod about what makes these clocks such a pain now where at one time
they were no problem. 





They apparently have changed to a soft core shafting that after about
twenty years is all that's left.  Once the hard cover plating is worn
away, the soft core isn't a good enough bearing material to do the job
no matter how polished or well cleaned and lubricated.  It sucks to
have such short sighted manufacture in a machine that for as long as
anyone can remember has been revered for it's longevity. 





People get attached to these damn things and if a replacement movement
isn't available it's down to me to try and rebuild the old one.  I much
prefer the British mentality in these things.  Over engineering by
several hundred years is their style on most things.  I've got other
rants for the Brit's but maybe another day.





No running again today, but I think I figured out what some of the
problem is.  Many of the wild tall grasses here are blooming and I'm
allergic to air borne interference.  My glands are fighting again today
and I'm betting it's a seasonal burst of pollen as the wild grasses
make seed for the next round. 





Tomorrow should see the metal on the shop roof.  I sure hope so.  I'm
sick of the anxiety waiting for a windy storm to blow up and rip things
apart before soaking the place down.





I got some mail this week from magnolia gurl.  Damian Rice?  I think
that's the name.  I'm due for some fresh blood in the music
department.  Maggie is good to me, always flattering to have the
attention of the young at heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment