Sunday, August 21, 2005

anthropomorphic to the core

I used to think very pessimistically about people.  Actually not so
much about people, but about humankind in general.  Horses were one of
my salvation's in finding a way to be more at peace in my own skin.

Dogs too, but I'll maybe get into that later





Communication has been an interesting topic to me for as long as I can remember.  Vicki Hearne's "Adam's Task"
has been an important book for me in that it opened up the world of
animal training to me like no one else had been able to. I've read it
many many times.  It's not for everyone, but for those sensitive to the
remaining 93% of the message that eludes words, this is an interesting
way to begin to look at all our relationships.





Another influential book is Monty Roberts
biography, "The Man Who Listens to Horses".  I've only read this one
once, but it works as a wonderful story irrespective of you
appreciation of horses.  It has some interesting things to say
indirectly about the emotional lives of boys.  "Raising Cain" is getting a lot of attention from our bookish crowd here on that topic just now.





I'm boarding three horses
just now and have begun to interfere with their heads a bit.  I may set
to break ( poor choice of terms, but anthropomorphic language aside,
that's what it's called.) the yearling this winter.  I don't like her
very much so I may not tackle her at all and focus on this years foal /
colt.  I've never had a gelding, but would prefer one this time round. 
I've owned only two horses to date, three including one of these
youngsters.  I have to decide which one or whether I want to have both
over the winter.  I think the mare is preggers again which kinda
blows.  She's not broke to ride either and I've had none of them in the
barn yet to see if they have any manners. 



Anyone wanting to help pitch hay and straw bales into the barn loft at a moments notice, please leave your addy with me. 







The yearling is a bit of a bitch in all the wrong ways.  Really saucy
and not prone to easy handling.  I would bet she's be a bucking show
with a saddle on.  My bones aren't terribly drawn to things getting a little western any more than already is likely when handling young horses stock.





I like the colt, but he's got a small head and I'm not sure he's going
to grow into it.  I like how he runs though.  More to be revealed. 
Time for construction man to play his part again.





Crab apple jelly left a big bowl of jelly fuzz in the fridge for this
morning's breakfast.  With produce being so poor for the last couple of
years it's been too long since I had that nectar.  Fuzz in yogurt at
lunch too.  Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment