Saturday, September 10, 2005

Way over due

I'm betting that getting spam from myself is not a good sign.  I'm long
over due to retire this old install of Fedora Core 2 and move on to a
system I can respect. 





I brought Slackware 10 home from BC this spring, but it's rpm based too
and I've pretty much had it with rpm based systems.  They get stale and
need a fresh install. 





Having to reinstall all the time when I ran winduhs drove me batty.  I
hate installing!  I can do it just fine, but the commitment of time and
energy to backing everything up and wiping the slate clean with a
formatting, partitioning drives and then tweaking all the settings for
network and the myriad options is a royal PIA.





Debian migrates.  While you do your updates, your system can migrate
along with whatever level of development you wish.  How smart is that? 
Damn smart!  Now if I could only learn to live in Debian.  The
installer for Debian has been the brunt of enough jokes to choke
google. 


 


Woody (current stable)

Sarge (current testing)

Sid (unstable)



Debian is very conservative in my
opinion.  Sarge is pretty damn stable whenever I've been able to test
it.  I put it on a small SCSI drive on the girls box and basically
walked away.  It has been the strongest operating system I've used.  I
get bogged down when the update tool "apt-get" complains and won't
update something or other.  One also should be proficient at building
kernels, which I'm not. 



I have the Fedora Core 4 install discs which will no doubt find a home
here somewhere among the 30 odd partitions on this box.  ADHD to the
core.  I think there are five different systems installed in this one
box.  All five are broken to some degree and now this one is failing
quickly.  So is a leak on my toilet, but that will have to wait until
Monday.  :D  Oh no... maybe the folks coming from the city can grab me
a hose. 



Whatever... I bought a cheapo DVD burner today and I've already baled
out on it.  I didn't even take it out of the bag.  I'm going to spin it
into a much better one on Monday hopefully.



So, instead of chatting up a storm tonight, I'm going to go document
what and where of those partitions and see if I can get something
newish installed!  I took the box apart tonight and blew the dust out
of it.  My new lube for the fans seems to really last.  It's a natural
oil for clocks by Moebius.  I can't remember the number off hand, but
I'll try and post it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment