Saturday, December 3, 2005

Winnipeg Santa Shuffle

27:52

5:34 min/km

8:58 min/mile

The 5km was broken into two equal loops and a third short one. I ran the first loop at about 85% and the second one at about 92% and the third short stint at 98%.

I dressed perfectly and it was cool this morning in the hoarfrost, overcast and about -16C or so I think. I warmed up for 10 minutes prior and that seemed wise in retrospect. It helped me to focus on my pace with which I've struggled.

That was fun. I've been watching DrJ's (runningmania.com) spin on fun when it comes to racing, and I was so very convinced it would be hellishly difficult to endure but, surprisingly, I was at home there. It was intense, yes, but it was fun. It demanded all my attention and I enjoyed it all. I've never raced before and the energy generated with all the other runners around was infectious in all the right ways.

After so many miles alone, it was nothing short of thrilling to be in the company of others that know the joys of running. I could drag this feeling out for pages, but I'll spare you.

I met Cheryl (Dr. Phil celeb) for the first time today and was struck by the contrasts between my feelings of euphoria and her congested energy backing up on a taper that she's built toward for so long. She has her first marathon in 8 days. I kept thinking that what she is headed for would be absolute bliss. The degree of deferred gratification in training for a marathon is something beyond my ability to reason through, but if it provides any part of the feelings I carry today, it's something I want to jump in with both feet for.

For now a half marathon at the end of February will have to do.

I'm more than a little embarrassed that I wasn't more conscious of others and their requirements for support. I was wholly distracted with my own elation, which leaves me feeling a little childish now. The seasoned veterans of race day like Jill, Dwayne, Natalie, and Cheryl were so kind and indulgent of my new thrill. It was tremendous to have other runners to share the experience with. I'm still a little giddy.

Dwayne's Running Room 5km clinic crew were a good bunch. A friend and I joined a table for lunch at Stella's with two of them. Diana and... I'm so bad with names! The conversation was lively and the food was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment