Monday, February 27, 2006

Mo snakes



Bonnie's little girl.


Here are some images of Bonnie's new snake. It's a ball python. It's about to shed it's skin. If I'm lucky I'll get to watch it eat for the first time on Thursday night. It's eyes are all milky blue as it prepares to slough it's skin though, so it's as blind as a bat. How comforting! Any bets as to when I get tagged?


Actually the ball pythons are pretty shy guys and not aggressive at all. We looked at corn snakes a lot, and might end up with one yet.


I'm hoping to hear back on a rescued adult ball python from Ontario this week. Maybe I can have an adult while Bonnie eases the young one into life as a pet.


The rats it eats are just under 50 grams. It's an amazing meal for such a small critter. If it eats strongly, it will have a feeding once every 5 to 7 days. It'll grow up to be at least four feet long. They are quite heavy bodied things too. Weird to have such things around your body. I remember being so scared of snakes when I was a kid. Then, silly me, didn't want to pass on my phobias to my kids. Duh! No look at the mess I'm in. < g >


You can see the heat tape between the two containers. In at least one of the images of Bonnie's snake. I've got it rigged to a simple wall switch dimmer with a remote indoor outdoor thermometer probe to keep tabs on the temperature. It's a 20W strip eleven inches by 12 inches. It works like a charm.


Tim at Cranwill's Captive Bred Snakes - www.cranwill.com> has been a very big help in getting hooked up with some good information.

No comments:

Post a Comment