Tuesday, February 14, 2006

twenty years and counting

My parents will celebrate fifty years together this summer. It's a mile stone I've been reflecting on for months. I'm looking forward to congratulating them in person knowing some of what it costs to not grow so far apart that it can't be sustainable.

Twenty years and I still remember our first Valentine.

Tonight it's an old standby in celebration of history and the merit therein.

Roast chicken, home grown, dusted in salt to tighten the skin. Stuffed with onion and parsnips from our earth to keep it moist and to provide tasty drippings for the inevitable brown sauce. The neck olive oiled and peppered aside to caramelize beside the bird.

Slow cooked and well browned is what provides me with that caramel trimmings that provide so much flavour for meat of all kinds and this will be no different. Covered for the majority of the long spell against the heat, then uncovered to brown the exterior to showcase the wonders of colour and presentation. Parsnips will be added to the roast once the lid is off. I'll roll them in the juices and leave them to soften and brown.

Mashed spuds with roast garlic throughout. Whipped by hand to a smooth cream, my Mum still craves Manitoba potatoes from her sea view in Qualicum Beach. This year the potatoes were the least attractive I've ever seen them. Here's hoping for a good growing season to come. It's almost time to smell that dirt alive again.

A large salad of romaine, sprinkled generously with thinly sliced radish, green onion, mushrooms and red sweet pepper. A light toss of hulled roasted sunflower seeds to top it off is making me hungry already.

I'm a bit of a glutton when it comes to food. Lately restraint has been within my grasp and the pleasure of deferred gratification is coming on like a long anticipated and well prepared orgasm. I may have to run to St. Malo for wine.

Time management skills still need work. Bread didn't make the cut today, which is a shame. I've eaten lightly for a couple of weeks and today have fasted since my light break fast this morning. I managed to squeeze in a quick two mile run and that has the juice of needed calories heightened. By six with the kids in tow from basketball, drama or choir I hope to have it all come together as thanks for all that is heart felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment