Thursday, July 13, 2006

midnight @ 30C

You might think a guy could learn from his mistakes, but no. At 20:30 last night I decided enough was enough and I was going to begin the process of installing Fedora Core 5. I anticipated some grief as is usually the case with a new operating system install, but my primary drive has decided it's got issues and that meant the boot loader calved.

Brock did the good friend on broad band deal and took a spare drive of his and installed the OS along with what would amount to a months worth of updates for me to download. How hard can it be when everything is installed? Big plans, but Murphy still rules. I still can't see my connection speed which is a bit of a hassle, but at least I'm connected and all my preparation on the last install paid dividends again when every ones old home directories have the correct permissions. That will help ease the pain of migration for everyone.

I'll be configuring for weeks, but at least it's begun and now I can get back to whatever was supposed to be going on. I may just bite into another rats nest tomorrow seeing as how I'm on a roll. I'll see how the sleep goes tonight before I tackle anything silly again.

PU is off to the cottage and I think that's likely a good place for her in this heat. I'm kind of expecting the lid to come off the house in a blow tonight. I ran today, but there were warnings out not to do such things. It was a little steamy too so at 35C it felt more like 40C according to the news. The good news is that the grass is all dying! Yeah! Now that the riding mower steering is all rebuilt I can buy parts to give the push mowers some more compression.

I shopped a bit for mowers when I was picking up the steering parts, but I must be missing something. We've had this riding mower for 8 years. The motor is supposed to be rated for 600 hours. We cut about 50 hours a year, making a rebuild forecast every 12 years. Ours was rebuilt at year 4 and is ready again. 200 hours seems a little thin. I've mower to learn, no doubt. :P

I transferred my little Aphonopelma seemanni tarantulas to bigger (2oz) deli cups this morning. They are certainly growing quickly. One got away on me and scampered away from the intended target, but I would have too if I spent my days in a small vial. Their getting hairy now and showing some colour too. I just hope I can keep them alive through the winter. There is so much to do, always and I'm so slow at moving forward.

PU has the living room in disaster mode. It's a room that wants painting in the worst way, so it's difficult to complain about the chaos. She's a machine for moving ahead, but she's not much into picking up or putting away. :D

I'm booked to run a 4km cross country race on the 27th and then I think I'll sign up to run the 5km Ron Melnichuk later on in August. If all goes well with those, I'll sign up to run the 10km race I blundered last year later on in September. I'm excited to be able to build up some strength again without it being sucked out of me over one thing or another.

I had the most horrific nightmare early this morning. I almost never remember dreams anymore and haven't had a nightmare like this in ages, but it's stuck with me all day. It was a dream of preparing for suicide. I want to grow up now. :( 4:47 is way too early to start the day, no matter how hot it is.
Trudging the happy road of destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment