Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Tom's hormone reduction day in the neuter lane of a dogs life

To some extent it was easier than some of the other things I've had to do with dogs. Somehow this kid (me) grew up to be more fluent communicating in "dog" than my skills in communicating with people in many ways. I branched out to horses and now my interest is focused on some new buddies. :D Are we having fun yet? Oh yeah!

My interest is primarily in communication and learning patterns. It's not a formally trained line of enquiry, but it's not completely based on my own hair brained ideas, I do read and seek out others in the field. If you're in need of an interesting book about communications with cats, dogs and horses let me know and I'll be glad to help with a book I've read more than 15 times. I must be slow... :P (info posted below)

The long and short of it is that I read somewhere, that in the city of a million that is our provincial capital and an hour north of where we live, the Humane Society puts down something like 7,000 dogs a year. Once I comprehended the dgree of hypocrisy many people seem to carry in regards to their support for animals, the world shifted under my feet. I then dedicated myself to relationships with dogs in particular, that are as void of bribery, and coercion as I can make them.

I'm constantly asked to take dogs that for one reason or another people have found themselves unable to live with. Tom is one of those dogs. We got him late last fall. He's not the brightest tool in the shed, and not bonded well, primarily, I believe, because we missed being together between that critical period between 8 and 16 weeks old.

When I dropped him off at the vet's this morning I was asked if I wanted to buy a full spectrum of shots for him and I declined, saying that I wasn't sure yet whether he was going to be around that long. The woman taking my information looked at me knowingly, but then asked why I was spending money having him fixed. It seemed as if that was a fair question so we got into it briefly. I guess I'm human too.

I'll gladly pay to do what I can to ensure I have an animal with the best chance of learning to live in harmony with people, but I accept that my love of dogs extends to the broader field of dogs that are maybe better suited to a life with humans, albeit the humans in their lives fall short of being competent with them. I prefer to keep space available for the gems that inevitably come my way and to place them with someone that will love them well. It's for the love of those dogs that I'd have Tom cut, or put him down if he can't learn to adhere to the non-negotiables for dog conduct here.

I'm hopelessly cerebral no? heh. It's been an odd transition moving to this very rural setting 15 years ago. Life and death in an impoverished rural agricultural community where deer meat, breeding animals, and knowing where your dinner comes from, has offered a very utilitarian view of the value of life I'd not known previously. Death is inevitable and unavoidable. Domestic animals in my life do not take precedence over those in my own species, so I will not risk a mauling by a dog or broken ribs or worse from a nut ball horse.

Vicki Hearne's book, "Adam's Task" is a really interesting look at communicating with animals, that sometimes reflects back on humans in less than a flattering light. This is the book I've read so many times I've really lost count. Vicki was one of America's most successful trainers for problem horses. She cut her teeth under the the guy that put Disney on the map with animals in their early years, William Koehler's methods as well as his son. Be forewarned that I've never met anyone that can read this book.

All are controversial and not at all fashionable. I became a supporter when my first dog got beyond control under the guidance of some very talented dog trainers. Koehler's work helped me to prolong that dog's life significantly and eventually she competed successfully in obedience trials against other dogs far above her station. A very honest relationship was the key, but it was a painful transition for us all as we all learnt to converse in ways that were less about control and more about integrity.

So... there you go! Another day with Ian. :P Sometimes I just feel like blathering.

I was finding my own man parts tightening uncomfortably at the thought of taking Tom into the vet this morning. It's a guy thing for sure! Last night I fed a big rat to my jungle carpet python and I was reminded again about the sympathies I have with Tom. Blue is not a great colour with a neutering in the works.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment