Saturday, February 10, 2007

Home again

Home sweet home again. Running this week was one of the many treats of the visit to one of our wet coasts. Two years ago when I went to see M&P Mount Arrowsmith wasn't showing much snow and the talk was all about drought. The sun was shining and the temperatures were often 16C or higher. I gardened and looked for excuses to spend extended periods of time outside then.

This visit was more typical of a west coast Vancouver area winter climate. Showers, rain, low hanging cloud, fog, sprinkles and mist were all on the menu. When a brief patch of blue sky popped out Mum would roar around the house ensuring the blinds were maximised for the event. While she was running from room to room she called to all that would listen that there really was sunshine. Of course I'm not deprived, but having lived through those dark days that seem to go on forever there in the winter rains, I could sympathize. It is clear that some UV exposure is long over due for her.

I got two longish runs in while I was out there and both were done on days where shorts were easily within reach for comfortable attire appropriate for such things. Today at home here, it's race day and I'll be wearing a couple of layers more than that for survival.

What kind of Mum sends her first born home with a bouquet of forsythia in bud, long fresh sprigs of rosemary and heather? A treasured one, that's what kind. It's all fragrant and warming toward flowering on the kitchen table now.

I walked in the rain every morning, but the first with the local goddess crones. They still all swing their bats with some enthusiasm and it's a highlight of the visit to share the days beginnings with them all. What inspiration to be in the company of such a wealth of wisdom. Laughter is always very close at hand with that crew.

Rita isn't as mobile for walking, but she can hold her own in the laughter department. My Aunt Rita is the touch stone of reality that made my teen years worth surviving. It was brilliant fun to pick up where we left off. There is no lag time with us. We know where it is we are and get right down to it when we have the luxury of time together. I made the list for some wrist warmers that I expect will see some serious wear through the rest of the winter. They are mitts without fingers. The thumb gusset is there and plenty of extension up the arm. A great asset for those that are active outside when it's cold. I'll try and post some images later. They are a great idea, thanks to her for those.

I also got the chance to share an hour or so with some dear old friends of the family I hadn't seen for many years. I passed up attendance at a jazz concert to stop by on the off chance they might see Mum and me and I was so glad it was workable for them. It sure was for me. Micheal is an old world Italian man of very proud stature. I prompted him for some history about his love of wine making. A tasting was of course in order. A highlight of the trip was to see Kay and Micheal again. I wish I had more time to write on this, but the tide isn't waiting for me either as it surely wasn't for those two. They both have had struggles with their health unfortunately.

Before I was too far off the plane coming in there on Monday, M&P had some halibut into me and the food quality went up continuously the whole time I was there. I suppose it's just because they were hosting, but they seem to eat pretty high on the hog. I never seemed to be able to make much of a dent in the left overs.

I cleared two small flower beds and that was the extent of my usefulness outside while I was there. I helped mess up Dad's life with computers. Linux helped rescue some lame Compaq machines that he had on hand for some other folks in need. I got through most of the dead equipment and marked it for disposal. That will hopefully clear some room for whatever is to follow.

It's always fun to stand around in the shop and talk about horological tools and jobs we've done or are doing. Dad and I got a good dose of that and I was grateful for the tour he offered. He's been around the block a few times and has enjoyed a rich and varied accumulation of skills,stories and tools.

The crew at home were wonderful about picking up the slack while I was gone. The bowls and other pottery I brought home were enthusiastically received. Manon got to pick first and she chose what I expected she would in a tallish, heavy globe bowl with a small base. I like to call those type of bowls medicine bowls. I always feel nurtured using one. Bonnie surprised me by exchanging her first choice of a fine mug of Sandy's for something more robust and practical in a blue cereal or soup bowl. Both of these came from TOSH where Mum paints once a week and often studies.

PU was all over a fine white bowl of Sand Richardson's. We made a trip out to Larry Aguilar's studio to find Sandy's pots. Larry's work is less practical, but I bought one of his too anyway. The colour was too much to resist. I could budget a weekly trip to that studio without any pain involved at all. I'm not much of a shopper, but Sandy's work brings it out in me. Although I'm in love with her bowls, she's well known for her tea pots. I'll try and get some images up of my choices sometime soon.

Images of the water colours that Mum's going to show in March are on their way too. Good luck preparing everything Mum.

The flight home was fine, but I was sad. The rain was as heavy as my spirits on the drive to Comox. Leaving M&P again when they are so far away was tough this time. Dad is not very open about what's happening with his health and that's not good. I expect he's not doing quite as well as he says, but the genetics will likely hold him in good stead if he's made of the same stock as his Mum was. I hope he continues to look after the things that will help keep him strong. Mum is a fighter and bred from strong stock inside and out. I hope I was able to bring some cheer to her through her birthday. It felt like time well spent for me at least. I was exhausted when I got there and slept poorly the whole time I was there, but such is life. I enjoyed the days well enough and my bed was waiting to comfort me when I got back to rest here at home.

It's race day. A 5km puker in the brilliant sun shining on the Festival du Voyageur!

The high pressure dome that's parked over us is providing the most dramatically clean air imaginable. As we were coming toward Winnipeg last night the pilot informed us that from 260km (161 miles) he could see Winnipeg clearly. Glacier glasses are back in action today.

No comments:

Post a Comment