Monday, March 12, 2007

Polar Bear run images

Most of my images got borked. These are some of what survived.

It was a hell of a long run and as predicted, the footing was nasty. I finished in 3:58 I think. It was brutal. Most definitely the most challenging physical endeavour I've ever taken on.

The light was very strange. Ultra low contrast and many places where the sky blended seamlessly into the snow cover. When we were in the middle, it was sometimes an odd enough effect to interfere with ones equilibrium. It felt as if you were running through a tunnel or something like that. Very strange to be without a horizon.

There was little wind to speak of and the temperatures were just below the freezing mark. If the big bombardier hadn't chewed up the track it would have been much easier going, but it wasn't billed as the easiest race so I should shut up. Everyone was saying how this year was the best footing ever. Some years they have to detour around open water. Yikes! Having done this one once I think is enough for me!

I was happy to make a strong showing and I finished looking strong so I was pleased. Many didn't look so good coming to the finish. It was a very demanding run. I nailed the fluid and calorie requirements to a tee too, which is always handy. Over the four hours I consumed a liter and a half of straight Gatorade and a gel (powergel) every 45 minutes. I got a pint of chocolate milk into me the minute I crossed the finish line hoping to help recover tomorrow in the best way possible. The body plays some interesting tricks in endurance running. There is a twenty minute window after finishing a long run like this where the body will replenish it's spent stores of glycogen very rapidly. Chocolate milk provides a poor mans recovery drink because it's balanced 25% protein and about 75% carbs which is ideal. If I didn't notice the difference I wouldn't bother with it, but it's an experiment that clearly shows the benefits for me so I drink it willingly. Such punishment!

My big toe nail on my left foot is very tender. The soles of my feet are tender. My knees are very stiff tonight and my quads are sore and uncooperative when asked to climb up or down stairs. Over all though I'm jacked up right properly that I've managed to exceed my expectations yet again.

Cheryl works for a dealer of many machines and the sled Dennis got to play with today would do 118 mph wicked wide open! What a toy.
Cheers!

bombardier -the bomb Polar Bear Run

bomb_750


Waterboys in the bomb

water_boys_750


Waterboys in the bomb

water_boys_750_0


Cheryl finishing

cheryl_dennis_mike_750


Cheryl gritting her teeth

cheryl_gritting_teeth_750


Dennis

dennis_750


Dwayne finishing

dwayne_750


Dwayne's brain freeze and Lisa's Dad

dwayne_lisas_dad_750


Jeff and Ian

jeff_ian_750

Lisa

lisa_750


Pam

pam_750


huddle

pre_race_huddle_750


Two speedsters

two_speedsters_750

No comments:

Post a Comment