Friday, March 2, 2007

snow removal and Polar Bear run prep.

The organisational meeting for the 30km run across the frozen Lake Winnipeg was tonight. It looks like there will likely be a crew of ten or so from the runningmania.com crew. I'm so in over my head on this one. It's right at the limit of where I can expect to hit the wall as my muscle runs out of glycogen.

I haven't been able to sustain as high a mileage in training to get up to securely run the longer distances without fear of pushing that limit, but I've made my bed and now it only remains to sleep in it.

The snow removal duties on last Sunday and yesterday have left what was supposed to be a taper week in the training schedule as one that only served to weaken rather than strengthen me. On a positive note, my legs recovered nicely from yesterday. On Monday they were a bit sore from Sunday's pushing.

Thank heavens that Dad taught me how to milk all the horse power available out of small air cooled engines. My little blower sure can push snow. When I bought it for a hundred bucks I thought it would do for the time being. The first winter I used it I broke a main drive shaft in it early in the season. That must have been in the winter of 95/96 or so when we had more snow than we knew what to do with. That was the first project for my then new machine lathe. The original shaft was made out of material that was better suited to be easy on the manufacturing processes than in doing a good job of being a shaft. I love machines.

On Sunday the cut down the drive was a simple trench that the snow blower cut. Consequently the wind filled it in with snow rather more promptly than was desirable. Yesterday I blew it all out then took the scoop and hand tapered all the edges. The wind is still a factor, but the drifting isn't thankfully. Early in the week bigger machines will come and clear the yard and we'll start the process all over again. This winter was so soft in the beginning and now it's in full swing.

When I walk to the barn it's like walking a tight rope. I've got a tiny little trail packed that the wind blows snow to cover almost flawlessly. One step off the beaten path and I'm into snow over my knees. I've got 25kg feed bags that need to go down that trail tomorrow? Anyone want to call it core strength work and save the money you spend at the gym?

No comments:

Post a Comment