Thursday, July 26, 2007

garlic jones

I'm a garlic hound. Growing this flora well, escaped me for a long time, but not now. Since I began gardening I've never had as nice garlic as I have this year. It's not cured yet because I just pulled it last night, but it's all so big and full and I'm so excited to have such a gorgeous quality to fondle. Yes, I get a bit excited about my garlic.

I knew I wasn't planting much last fall so kept the very best of the seed and suffered all winter with shitty soft neck commercial stock. When I brought this bulb in and broke it up, Pierrette was onto it early and asking if she could use the fresh produce for the sour dills. I doubt the timing could be any better. It's not cured by any stretch of the imagination, but I doubt that will be any impediment to the quality of the pickles.

This is shaping up to be one of the very best years we've had here for garden produce. I'm missing the raspberries, but not the blight that we battled for so long. Last year was a bumper year for tomatoes, but this year may see the sauce and salsa put away before PU has to begin attending to school preparations too, but we'll see.

The size of bulbs is very consistent this year. I'll cure it up before I take shots of the bounty. It looks like if I pay attention, I'll have nice clean white paper covers to show off too. Usually I'm late in pulling the bulbs and the covering binds to the dirt or the skins split, but maybe this year I can have a showcase for my attention to details in this area. I would like that very much.

I suppose I should get out there and string it up, but an eight mile run with Manon this morning combined with a 5:00 rising time has left me wanting a solid pasta dinner and not much else.

2007_garlic_750

No comments:

Post a Comment