Monday, February 9, 2009

strike nowhere matches

I'm getting cheesed off with Redbird strike anywhere matches. They've cheapened them to the point of uselessness. The match stick is now too thin to strike "anywhere" without breaking and the phosphorous tip is so far diminished that it's now difficult to get a match to light on the box, never mind your zipper when you're standing out at the burning barrel in a winter blow.... up your knees in snow... ice crust eating your shins for lunch... #^&*@#^&*. Lighters lose their pressure in the cold. Do I really need a Zippo in my pocket at all times? That will suck in the summer, but fire is a major component of this rural lifestyle. An outdated arcane lifestyle apparently.

Last night I broke two matches trying to light a piece of paper. This week both PU and Snoot shot the tiny white tip off onto the floor and one did a nice black burn into the back door mat. These are people that have lit literally thousands of matches in their lives and many more than most I would presume. I assume that the safety factor of the older styles of matches were too much for the actuaries to support with numbers and thus insane insurance rates, but how safe are the dummy down versions?

Gads I'm at wits end with people being saved from the need to think and suffer the consequences of even the simplest of tasks. Back to my Velcro shoes and diapers. Save me from the negative, none of this really matters, except if you actually need a match to light because you need fire. I mute the commercials and talk to real people instead so maybe there's no hope for me.

If you ever see these available, please test them out. I'm in the market for some good ones.
http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/saloon/matches.html

Survivor man wannabee with flared nostrils.

No comments:

Post a Comment