Sunday, June 7, 2009

Oil filter paper test

I'm a big believer in changing oil often and regularly. I've run high mileage cars for the last twenty years and had opportunity to observe some characteristics about engine oil behaviour.

Unigrade is often specifided for heavy duty applications so something that might go into a cement truck might be straight 50 weight oil as opposed to a something like a 20w/50w blend. When a car starts to wear I'll move from a milti grade oil to a mono grade and that's worked well for me.
Another little irritant is that I can't seem to be convinced that filters need to come out every time the oil is changed.

I left a filter in for ages and challenged my mechanic to prove his point. Tonight I took it apart to help make my part and I learned one thing for sure. Using a great filter is a great idea. One that's completely supported the paper filter. Some do and some don't. Canadian Tire filters are lame. Fram filters are lame. Mopar filters rock the house. The dirt in the paper was gritty like sand. Scary, that.

I cut this filter open and found about what I had expected to find. One, that there was nothing even close to enough dirt to begin to restrict flow or even to provide resistance to the oil flow. The second thing I learnt was that what dirt was caught in the filter was nasty looking grit. Definitely something I want my filter to pick up.

Another evening chalked up to R&D.

The full set of images in this series:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clocker/sets/72157619361309462/

Cropped example from the set linked above.
oil_filter_paper_fpx_600

No comments:

Post a Comment