Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Raglan trial

I bought a big bag of wool I was pretty happy with, thinking that I am ready to bite into a real live garment. It's two ply worsted wool and has turned out to be a bit of a bust. I'll have to return it. I don't suppose I'll ever learn to follow a recipe to begin anything. Usually I just go out and buy the horse and then worry about what I'm doing about a fence, but that's part of an older story.

I tried much smaller needles and much tighter knitting, but there is no way I can make my gauge. I tried with other known weights of wool and didn't have any problems so, although it might be me, I'm guessing not.

I'll return the seven skeins of untouched wool and buy what's prescribed in the pattern and be done with it. In the mean time Karen's acrylic yarn has come to the rescue again. It has served to model a trial of the new stitches learnt for a raglan sweater back. I'm so jazzed! It looks so much more like real knitting. ;^) It's not entirely pretty technically, but I'm a long way from having my ten thousand hours in too. For the time invested I'm very happy with the results. Now lets get out of the pink and into something manly!

raglan_trial_750

2 comments:

  1. At least the 'wool' has come in handy. That makes me happy. Better than going unused in a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to do this for years. Your purge was the tipping point.

    ReplyDelete