Thursday, March 18, 2010

Turkeys

I saw the largest flock of wild turkeys today that I've ever seen anywhere in the wild. They were beside the road a mile north of the house. A good mix of younger toms and hens with one monster tom ruling the flock. The sun was bright, the temperature warm and the display was fantastic. I think there were about thirty of these wild turkeys mulling about.

In true rural tradition, a neighbour pulled up and together we blocked the road completely while we had a jaw and enjoyed the brilliant morning gifts without interuption.

Trauma Farm is everywhere in my life just now. I think spring is taking over first place as my favourite season.

The image below was from a photo opportunity a few years ago when a friend showed up here with a wild turkey in the back seat of his old beater. He often shows up with wild critters he's saved from death and wanting to use my scale to determine how well they are growing. Phil deserves a post, but I'll wait until I can get some fresh images from his place. Fresh and Phil don't often come to mind at the same time. He's an outdoor friend Phil is.

wild_turkey_tom0_750

No comments:

Post a Comment