Monday, April 26, 2010

New stitch holder

I was really frustrated with my first mitt. The instructions made little sense when I wasn't able to create the image of where they were pointing to in my head. I stumbled through, but the second one is looking much improved.

One of the things I found most frustrating with the first one was using a conventional stitch holder for the thumb while I went on to knit the top of the mitt. The holder was inflexible and really interfered with my ability to pull the first row tightly and properly above the thumb hole. I muddled it through to be passable, but I wasn't happy with the experience. I tried a different tack on the second mitt with some wire harvested from an old computer power supply. In combination with my improved thumb gusset, the new stitch holder is making this second mitt look much better than the first.

The first one I knit inside out, which Mum could not bend her brain around. Apparently there is no end to the possibilities for how a novice knitter will interpret a pattern. We had some good belly laughs over that one.

thumb_stitch_holder_750


Here's the first one in the early stages. This is way too much fun.


cuff_750

No comments:

Post a Comment