Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sunbeam Toaster

Once again I'm prepared to rant about green washing.

Our toaster was not cooperating so I got into it to see if I could help. Four screws, some scraping away of past toastage and a single screw adjustment did the deed for resurrection.

Twenty five years of service and I'm certain it's now ready to face another lengthy leg of action. Great value. Thank-you brother David for the wonderful wedding gift. I do so love a machine that just works.

Buy wisely people. It's what we can do when we can't reduce our consumption. An espresso machine and a slow cooker were added to our appliance count recently. I hope they can come close to competing with this toaster for service intervals. Fear not the screw drive.


toaster_750

3 comments:

  1. I just narrowly missed a 1960's chromed timing light at a thrift store and nearly cried. I bet it worked like the day it was born.

    Reuse is the best kind of R. It was only, what, 10 years ago and you used to be able to have a TV repaired without an RMA? It was both capable of such, and there were places that specialized in that.

    Ditching a car and buying a new one creates 25 tonnes of carbon footprint. Manufacturing a new car costs the planet as much as driving it. I'm proud of loving an older car...
    http://www.lyricsfire.com/viewlyrics/danny-michel/the-smell-of-gas-lyrics.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my watchmaking tools were old when I got them. I love that feeling of history on a strong tool. There was a post at the bottom of the basement stairs that had seen fifty some years of going downstairs to fetch more potatoes. It was a 4"x4" spruce post with the bark peeled off the rounded corners. Worms had eaten the wood in an interesting pattern under that bark and hands had polished it smooth and shiny, year after year. I used to have dreams about what stories that post could tell. What a romantic!

    Danny Michel has a wonderful way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same toaster. It's 35 years old. STill works. Looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete